To Established Vodder Therapists
- Remember what it was like when you first started your practice as a Vodder therapist? There weren’t too many lymphatic therapists around and even fewer from whom to ask advice! Let’s move this profession a step ahead and provide the benefit of experience and wisdom to new Vodder graduates. Help new therapists, as well as their patients , by offering to be a mentor! We will all reap the benefits!
To New Vodder Graduates
- Congratulations, you are now a Dr Vodder trained MLD Therapist. With your certificate in hand you can take on the world of lympatics…or can you? Do you want someone to consult with on how to get started with your private practice on difficult cases or just need reassurance that your plan of care is right? If so, get involved with the NAVALT Mentoring Program! NAVALT will help you find a mentor with experience in MLD/CDT who will help support and guide you as you develop your knowledge and skills in this field. You are not alone.
What is Mentoring?
Mentoring is a sustained professional relationship between an experienced and trusted person and a less experienced person. The mentors offer the benefit of their experience in providing guidance and instruction to assist newer professional colleagues in their personal and career development. A mentor is not a parent, professional counsellor, or financial advisor.
Many Vodder therapists are already mentors for less experienced therapists. Now you can extend your generosity to new Vodder graduates who are NAVALT members, some of whom may need support and advice they are not able to formulate into questions on the NAVALT Forum. Some of these graduates may not know any other Vodder therapists they can contact. You can be a great help by registering your information on the Forum and assisting new NAVALT members.
Mentoring can be done over the phone, by email, Skype, over coffee or lunch or at your workplace. You can choose a mentor who lives close to you or someone further away who you feel has the practice experience to answer your questions. Mentoring can be a long term commitment, or a once-in-a-while connection, or just to get you through a “tough patch” at work.
You will be a good mentor if you have passion for your work, you want to share your expertise, you are a good listener, and you want to make a valuable contribution to NAVALT.
You are a good mentoring partner if you want to increase your understanding of MLD/CDT theory and practice, you want to build a network of resources and you want to debrief with someone who understands you after a difficult day.
The goals of the NAVALT Mentoring Program are to:
- Assist lymphatic therapists who are newly certified or facing new challenges.
- Help Vodder therapists who are newly certified or facing new challenges.
- Allow experienced Vodder therapists to give back to the profession and NAVALT and to grow personally
The rewards for all participants includes:
- Practising leadership skills
- Gaining leadership skills
- Sharpening therapy and communication skills
- Overcoming personal challenges
Remember, you are in charge of the relationship. You can have more than one mentoring partner. You can start or exit a mentoring relationship at any time. If you have questions or concerns about the mentoring program, please contact Jane Sereda at firstname.lastname@example.org.